Job Title: Bus Driver Wage/Hour Status: Non-exemptReports to: Director of Transportation Dept./School: Transportation Primary purpose:Ensure safe and orderly transportation of students on assigned route. Operate school bus that transports students and other authorized personnel to and from schools or other designated location. Qualifications:Education/Certification:Valid Texas commercial driver’s license (Class B) or ability to obtain one(CDL certification training available for eligible candidates) Special Knowledge/Skills:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Ability to pass alcohol and drug test
- Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge of student discipline procedure
- Ability to manage student behavior
- Ability to operate bus
- Must be able to evacuate self and students out of the bus in case of an emergency
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Equipment Used: School bus, safety equipment (flares, reflective signs), fire extinguisher. Working Conditions:Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:Maintain emotional control. Continual sitting, reaching, and repetitive hand and arm motions. Work outside and inside; moderate exposure to extreme temperature (hot) and vehicle fumes. Must be able to evacuate self and students out of the bus in case of an emergency
- Follow assigned route and adhere to established schedules.
- Check bus for mechanical defects before and after each operation and notify supervisor of needed repairs.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical failures. Complete required reports.
- Keep assigned bus clean and fueled.
- Supervise students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
- Communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
- Maintain discipline; report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Instruct students on safe riding rules and regulations.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Inspect bus by checking fuel, oil, water, tires, lights, brakes, and steering to ensure bus can be operated safely before driving.
- Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area that could cause an accident and inform supervisory of any conditions that are not correctable immediately.
- Report any hazardous conditions along the route.
- Operate two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office.
- Attend and complete required training program to maintain safety certification.
All applicants must also fill out a Criminal History Record Check application online.